Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I know there are Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.

Wallace Stevens taught me that. Julia taught me that there are 85 ways to tie a tie. I corroborated it on Wiki. Then I found the book. Here's a quote from the back cover:

"In an elegant world, an irreproachable tie knot is an essential part of one's toilette; it does not matter whether the knot is simple or complicated, because the art is what counts. There are some knots which seem casual in appearance, but which have taken considerable labour before the mirror, and many a stamped foot, many an exclamation of impatience."-- Doctor A. Debray Hygiene Vestimentaire, 1857
Authors, Thomas Fink and Yong Mao are mathematical physicists. They examined tie tying, reducing it to (or is that enlarging it to) 85 possibilities, with mathematical notation for each.

Isn't the mind grand?

There. I've done it. I haven't complained about anything.
Talk about off topic. Or as they say, Random.

No comments: