Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Death Noticed

According to the article in the New York Times today, "Neighbors Reflect on a Death No One Noticed", by Andy Newman . . .

“For the last years of her life, Christina Copeman kept to herself.”

Her neighbors wondered and worried about her. When they saw her on the street they tried to engage her in conversation. She was not interested. They watched the mail pile up outside her door. When she was finally found inside her row house, dressed in winter coat and beret, she’d been dead for a year or more. She would have been seventy.

I never knew Christina Copemen. But I’ll remember her.

1 comment:

beth said...

Okay, this one terrifies me in a very real way. There is a 50/50 chance an identical story will be written about me one day. Except for the part about not talking to neighbors--you know I'll yammer on with anyone who will stand still and I hope that never changes!